Monday, February 25, 2008

3 Weeks Home....

I can't believe it's been 3 weeks already. In some ways it seems like I was never in Africa-it seems that distant...like it was a dream. But we're happy to tell our story over and over again about our trip. It may even get published! I had several people mention I should write our story (which I felt totally uncomtortable doing! I can't even journal or blog consistently!) Then someone at church e-mailed that her daughter is a jounalist major and needs to have a story to publish in a magazine next semester. She e-mailed back and was very excited about our adoption. We are planning to get together over her Spring break. So maybe God has plans for more people to hear our story. My prayer is more people will hear about Liberia and the need for adoption--everywhere in the world.

Here's the lowdown (short version!) of what we've been doing the last few weeks.

All 3 kids had Dr. appointments last week...at the same time. It was a long day but I would rather do it in one shot (no pun intended)than make several trips in.

They had their TB tests done (negative-praise God!!) Blood work done, stool/urine samples and overall check-up. I don't have all the labs results back yet...but everyone is Hep free (A, B and C) No one has high lead...amazing! They are a little low in iron but not bad. They did AMAZINGLY well with the needles. I was thinking we'd have to majorly hold them down but we didn't. No one cried at the lab either! In fact when we left they all said good-bye and thank you :) I did use some numbing cream on their arms so maybe that did the trick. I will definitely try it again. We haven't done shots yet...probably in the next few weeks.

Poor Isaac! The morning we were trying to get out the door for our appointment he was moving really slow and not wanting to get off the sofa or out from under the blanket. I kept telling him to hurry up and wasn't being the most patient thinking he just didn't want to go. When we got there I found out he had a temp of 103.4!!! That explains everything. I felt so bad. Then we did a flu test (horribly painful!) because there is so much of that going around and one of our kids had it before we came home. Negative. So not sure what was up with that. He did have a little touch of the stomach flu the next day. He's been fine since then though.

We had two dentist appointments last week as well. Those went great. Marie and Josie both sat so still. Josie needed alot of scraping but no cavities for either (I was amazed again!) Isaac goes this week so we'll see about his teeth. He has some pretty bad breath going on!

We were invited out to friends' houses for dinner Friday, Sat and Sunday nights! I kept telling the kids we really don't do this often...and it will probably be the last for a looong time!

Our church and homeschool group have provided meals..every night for almost 3 weeks. It has been the biggest blessing not to run to the store and figure out how to cook for 10 people. I'm hoping God puts a super natural energy in me to get excited about that :)
The things we run out of the quickest are bread and banana-0s!

The baby carrot thing is going great. Everyone eats them w/o complaining and Marie was even snacking on them without being prompted at someone's house. Guess it's time to try a few more new veggies.

Isaac has had to go without eating a meal because he just wouldn't try what we were eating. I think he figured out it's not worth it to be hungry until dinnertime.

Josie has still had the most struggles with obeying. We usually have a show down every other day (sometimes everyday...and they can last from 15 min-1.5 hours) I'm sure she was never taught about authority...so it's something new for her. It's tiring but something that we just have to keep doing. She does all the typical pouting, not looking at you, thrashing, wailing that I hear about. But she is learning it's not acceptable and in the end you'll still have to do what you're told.

Sunday was our first time in church for a month (due to travel/bad weather) I was amazed we actually got there before it started AND found a whole row we could all sit in! We're usually always late and sit in front...the seats no one wants :)
While we were singing I was still amazed at how we pulled it off when I noticed that I had my sweater on BACKWARDS...oooh to be humbled! :) It was a good laugh though.

On the way home Josie asked if we were going to "church". I said we already did. She told me that was "white church"...which I'm thinking is the equivalent of VERY BORING to them :) The Liberian church we went to was so different and fun I can see why she wasn't very impressed with ours!

We haven't done much with trying to find a schedule. More going with the flow...trying to eat and stay caught up with laundry and the appointments we have.
The kids have enjoyed playing outside...even in the snow and cold. They even brought out the bikes and scooters the other say. We still have TONS of snow and more coming tonight again.

I can hardly wait for summer!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

You're really good at making up for lost time! You go from no posts to 2 pages worth!!! You crack me up! I'm so glad everyone is healthy. I still need to take Davis to the dentist too! How did they do with that?

Bran