Friday, March 27, 2009

No Wonder I'm Crazy....

I just sat down and figured out that I have 5 kids doing 100 Easy Lessons (a reading program) That's 500 lessons. By me. Even if I work 5-10 minutes with each child that is about an hour sitting on the sofa pointing at 3 lettered words. Actually 2 of the girls are getting close to finishing the book. They are reading "real" stories.

I read on another homeschooling mom's blog that she throws a "Reading Party" for each child that learns to read. I figure since this is the first time any of my kids have ever finished this book I will THROW A PARTY!!! Complete with a new book and cake for the special child. Mom gets a consolation prize (to be determined at a later date)

I have 3 kids that have learned to read without this 100 Easy Lessons book. So yes, it can be done. Since I've invested so much blood, sweat and tears (mine and theirs) to get this far...WE ARE FINISHING this book.

Caleb--who didn't ever get past lesson..oh maybe 10...reads pretty well for a 10 year old. His first "solo-pick-up-on-your-own-and-read-in-bed-book" was Captain Underpants. So his prize is a new pair of boxers. He's thrilled.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

That's so funny! You're a great writer. I love your blog! Just cherish your time for very soon you'll be looking back wondering where it all went. I remember going over and over the word p-i-g = what's that spell? Finally they said "house?" I felt I was going to go insane for sure. Some days I'd just go outside and run around the house (couldn't stray too far, who knows what they would do to the house!) just to work off steam. Now it's all gone and I sit quietly and read a book. YEAH! But those days are precious and the kids appreciate knowing how to read. :)