Friday, May 15, 2009

Trying Something New...

I know this is just totally not like me...but I made homemade laundry detergent!
A friend tried it and told me how cheap it is...and that it really works and I guess my cheapness won me over. Supposedly I will spend about $15-20 a year on detergent instead of ??? (I really have no clue) But I know I spend about $15 on the big box of Tide I was buying.

So here's the recipe if you want to try it: Below is the version for a front load washer..I'll include the orginal recipe too)

1 bar Naptha soap (found this in the cleaning aisle of Hy-vee)

3/4 c. Arm and Hammer washing soda (NOTE-not the same as baking soda) Also in the cleaning aisle

2 1/4 c. Borax (same place)

First you get a 5 gallon bucket with lid (pretty cheap at Menard's)
Next grate the Naptha bar soap with a veggie grater (it should be fine to use for food again...just wash in the dishwasher) I'll probably just get a new one because I need one anyway!
Put the grated soap in a saucepan and add 12 cups water. Heat until soap melts. Add the washing soda and Borax. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 8 cups of hot water in the bucket. Add the soap mixture and stir. Now add 2 gallons plus 12 cups of water and stir. Let set for 24 hrs stirring when you think of it. You can also add essential oils to this (which I didn't)

Use 1 c. for large loads... 1/2 c. for smaller loads.

For regular washers use:
1 bar Naptha soap
1 1/2 c. Borax
1 1/2 c. washing soda

I might be trying handsoap for the foam dispensers and dishwasher detergent eventually. Or I might never get to that. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! thanks for the recipe... I'm going to try it tonight. I can't wait to come this summer and find out all your tricks of the trade :)