Monday, December 22, 2008

It's COLD!!!

It's a wonderful ONE degree outside right now. We have no wood in the house...and one of our furnaces has been broken for the last few weeks. Dave finally caved in and called the repairman...because it's FREEZING in here! Right now it's not bad at 60...but when it gets in the 40's-50's INSIDE...it's not fun. Evreyone is walking around with extra sweaters, coats, double socks. I'm tempted to wear mittens but then I couldn't type! Tomorrow it should be fixed.
It must be the month of broken things. We've recently had to replace a dishwasher and water softener. We have the bum furnace, the car has a flat...the tractor has a flat and the Suburban was overheating this morning on the way to an eye appointment. (tell me how something can overheat in this weather??!!) The anti-freeze was actually BOILING. Olivia and I almost baled out of the vehicle thinking it might blow. Quite a strange sound. Thankfully the thermostat must have unstuck itself and it's doing ok. (except the passenger door is broke...someone has to walk around and open for them. It's fun when I'm the passenger :)

These things are all minor though when I think of a friend's family who are at the U of I Hospitals. Her husband was just in a car/snowmobile accident (with his son on the back who is ok) He has a fractured pelvis and rib. Can't work for at least 3 months. She had a stroke this summer (and has mostly recovered) I can't imagine their medical bills!

My cousin was involved in an accident just today when a car flew over the median and landed on top of her car. She's ok. But the other car literally broke in two around her..and there was a family traveling in it.

So I am thankful for this house..that our problems are so minor. That God is in all those stories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After living in Florida, I KNOW that Iowa winters are really hard on cars and houses (oh, and people too)!

Donna