Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New recipe--Love it!

I have a new soup recipe (we eat ALOT of soup around here now) that everyone likes--except Carsen. Isn't there always someone???

I make a huge double batch (double below) You can freeze it...eat it over rice...lunch....dinner....whatever.

Introducing: Bree's Lentil-Tomato Soup (I have no idea who Bree is!)

1 T. olive oil or butter
2 c. chopped onions (I don't use this much--sometimes not any--someone is picky)
1 tsp tumeric (wouldn't really need this..but if you have it go for it)
1 tsp cumin (I add extra)
1 tsp chili powder (add extra)
1 tsp cayenne (don't add this much unless you like it pretty spicy!)
1/4 tsp each salt & pepper
2 garlic cloves (I bought it in a jar...and add alot more :) Couple Tbl. spoons
3 1/3 c. water
2 1/3 c. lentils (a package)
1/3 c chopped cilantro (a must)
3 (14 1/2 oz) cans chicken broth (I use the large can)
1 (28 0z) can diced tomaotes, undrained

Heat oil and saute onion. Then add rest of spices. Saute for 1 minute (to release the flavors don't ya know!)
Add the rest of ingredients. Boil then reduce heat. Simmer 1 hour.

Reserve a couple of cups mixture and blend/puree the rest until smooth. Combine it all again and serve!

No comments: