Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Operation Save-A-Chicken

Today the girls went out to chore and found one of our little "babies" (that isn't really a baby anymore) all fluffed up and shivering. (do chickens shiver??) I believed them. It is SO cold out. So I suggested they bring it down to the basement to warm up by the wood stove. We are hillbillies ya'all.
I have a feeling he'll be living down there until this cold snap passes. How could I let a chicken the kids just named "Angel" freeze to death? :)

Schools and classes have been cancelled today. We're taking a day off too.
Temps will drop to -20 tonight. I am so thankful our furnace got fixed (for the second time yesterday)

Lunch wasn't exciting. It's usually a combination of left-overs (black bean taco soup) from the night before and something else...which in this case was more left-overs from a few nights ago (rice/red palm oil and fish and cornbread)
I think the big girls are making their own meal!

Today for breakfast I tried something different. It sure smelled good. I'm trying to decide if I'll make it again...probably. I really should have let it cool more before cutting it (I have a problem with that!)
Here it is:

Gingerbread Oatmeal
6 c. oatmeal
4 eggs
2 c. milk
1 c. melted coconut oil (I know you're cringing at that mom!) It's GOOD for you-really!
1/2 c. molasses
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. each cinnamon and ginger
1/2 tsp allspice (wouldn't really need this)

Combine dry ingredients then mix in the wet. Stir unil moistened. It will be pretty thick. Spread in a buttered/greased 9x13 pan (not sure if you need to do this with all the oil but I didn't want to scrape it out burnt)
Bake 30 minutes until brown around the edges.
COOL before cutting. (it smells wonderful!)

During lunch I threw about 8-10# of potatoes in the oven to bake. I have the BEST baked potato soup recipe I"ll post soon.

I'm still trying to figure out menu planning/grocery shopping with a large family. I read other people's blogs and they make it sound so easy and effortless.
The whole "planning" thing (ie charts/schedules) just isn't in me!
Maybe that's when you stick a kid on that project.
I'm convinced they will be cooking more meals...although I DO really enjoy doing that (when I know ahead of time what I'm doing)

2 comments:

Tama said...

The recipe sounds great but where's the oatmeal? How much or do you crumble this OVER the oatmeal?
Haven't checked your blog in awhile it's good to see you doing so well. Joy is finally reading too! She was so eager! She has an amazing memory and was just memorizing sentences too.

From Five to Eight said...

Tama,
you are right! (I'm so bad at math)
Guess I'll have to get the real answer at the Dr.'s office.

For the oatmeal recipe you add 6 cups of oatmeal. Sorry!