Monday, January 12, 2009

Waiting for the storm....

Right now we have almost every possible winter storm warning known to man (except ice)
The snow is falling and by tonight we'll have 40+mph winds and windchills down to -30.
I really don't like winter. The snow is beautiful but I don't like staying in (even a walk to the mailbox sounds harsh!)

At least I've been to the store so we're not hurting for groceries (except poor Charlie is out of food) He'd rather eat eggs and meat anyway! Spoiled dog.

I have black bean soup and a chicken simmering on the stove. I'm still trying to achieve the perfect loaf of bread. Right now I'm sure it's the flour's fault. I figured out I shouldn't be using soft winter wheat because that's more for cakes/baking. I can fiddle with the recipe and get decent, edible loaves for now. Who knew there are so many choices for wheatberries???!!! (and dough enhancers..and gluten...blah blah)

I'm really loving a cookbook called Whole Foods for the Whole Family (by La Leche League) It's a little hard to find but worth it.

A website I love when I have something in my cupboard but don't know what to cook is www.allrecipes.com (this is for you, Denise :)
It even re-figures the recipe when you change the serving size. Pretty nifty.

We're working through loads of laundry today. Not getting much school done but the kids have been having a great time playing outside. I think we'll do a little more reading and call it a day.

No comments: