Thursday, January 8, 2009

Yummy (and healthy) Peanut Butter Bars

I've finally found a bar/snack that is healthy and everyone likes! I wouldn't even feel bad eating a few pieces for breakfast :)

1 c. oats
1 c. very hot water
(soak oats in the water)

1/2 c. butter (one stick) softened
1/2 c. honey
1 egg
1 c. whole wheat flour (yes...embarassingly enough I did just grind it :0) But I still have my pj's on and it's 4:12 pm...does that make you feel better?
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter, honey and egg. Add oat mixture and rest of ingredients. Mix well. Spread in a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. I think mine were a little underbaked but they were browning around the edges. Cool on wire rack...then cut into bars.
This recipe says 36 servings. Right. Maybe 12 in our house.

4 comments:

Stetlers said...

Thanks for the recipes. I'm going to try the soup for dinner tomorrow and the bars for a treat tonight. I found your blog awhile ago. We are in the process of adopting from Liberia.
Kerri Stetler

Sherrie said...

Lot's of new pictures.. Love them. I can't decide which is my favorite. Caleb jumping for joy (I assume that is about the Wii) or Isaac wearing the batman jammies.

Anonymous said...

gonna try it...and your soup recipe. I bought some lentils awhile back because I thought they looked healthy, but don't know what to do with them!! Have a great Sunday! Lvoe, Denise

From Five to Eight said...

Denise,
I posted a website just for you :)
allrecipes.com (do a search on lentils)
Hope you like the soup! (I'm sure you know the old "serve-it-over-rice-trick"!)
Teresa